13 Ways Wine Industry Insight advertising is safer, more effective & convenient for you CLICK HERE


FREE! Subscribe to News Fetch, THE daily wine industry briefing - Click Here


SPONSORED BY:
<Beverage Trade Network

Drinking water, tampons and diapers: New Calif legislation would put them all in same taxable category

California has long considered it regressive to tax items that are considered essential to life such as food, shelter, power, water and prescription drugs.

 

Last year Golden State lawmakers ran into that buzzsaw when they took heat for labeling tampons as non-essential and it’s now on course to add drinking water to the list of items that should be taxed.

 

The pending bill, SB-623, which is expected to raise $2 billion, seems determined to address its regressive nature by promoting the tax as a “fee” and structuring it like a stealth property tax so that it falls primarily on homeowners, commercial property owners, and landlords.

 

Anyone who has their name on a water meter (including some renters) will be picking up approximately 70% of the tax bill. The remaining 30% will be collected from fertilizer sales and dairies.

 

Also In This Article:

The full text of the following sections is available to premium subscribers of Wine Executive News. Premium Subscribers should scroll down to the bottom of this article for their log-in links.

Full PDF’s available to premium subscribers

  • B-623 legislation as currently drafted
  • Legislative Analyst report on B-623

Also in this premium issue:

  • Specific uses of revenues raise remain vague

  • State Water Resources Control Board to administer funds

  • Bill author says tax needed because state general fund is unreliable

  • ┬áInarguably a noble cause

  • The tax highlights: who pays what

Premium Subscriber Log-in

Below are two links that lead to the same premium content:

 

(1) Long-time subscribers billed by CCBill should click this link UNLESS they have an American Express subscription that has expired (current Amex accounts are still active). This is also the link for former American Express users who have converted to Visa/Mastercard.

 

(2) American Express subscribers who did not want to convert to Visa/Mastercard and who have signed up using our new Stripe account should click this link.

Not a Wine Executive News subscriber?

Subscribe to Wine Executive News now, and get the rest of this original article along with everything else on the site every day, including original documents, spreadsheets,and source materials for just $29.99 per month or $209 per year